Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Arbor Hills Nature Preserve; or, Not All of Plano is Ugly

Brian and I are trying very hard to give Plano a fair chance.  After all, it can't help it that it is ugly and flat and filled with cookie-cutter houses.  It is just difficult some days, especially when we think about where we came from:

:
And where we are:


Just to reiterate, here's where we were:


And where we are:


No doubt, we were in serious need of some nature (and not just a view of a longhorn from the tollway).  So last week, while Brian was in Alabama, Nolan and I checked out Arbor Hills Nature Preserve.  And we fell in love (or I fell in love.  Nolan mostly likes pointing out the knocked-down trees.).


I took Brian there for the first time last night, and he was in agreement that it was the best part of Plano.


Arbor Hills is a 200-acre park where guests can enjoy miles of trails, including approximately three miles of cement loops (based on my GPS watch).  There is also a mountain bike course, restrooms, a huge playground, an observation tower, and a pavilion.  

But those aren't the only reasons we love it.  We love it because of this:


And because the view isn't of a freeway:


   And when we walk on the extra-wide paths, this is what we see:


 And there are dirt trails that we haven't yet explored:


Because there's an awesome bridge to the observation tower, which provides amazing views of the surrounding area:


 Because there are wild cacti growing in the woods:


 And we see signs that say this:


Because there are open fields that aren't private property:


And because Nolan loves looking for the numbered bird signs (we still aren't sure what they mean):



And Nolan loves riding in his stroller here, so I am able to get in some good exercise with my son accompanying me:


Because there's this tree with a bench underneath it, which sort of reminds me of the tree at the end of "Shawshank Redemption":


 And the trees in the woody parts remind me of my parents' place in Minnesota:


 Because there is a creek that runs through the preserve:


And because when we see views like this...:


 ... for just a few minutes, we forget we live in this:


And that makes us feel like this:


1 comment:

  1. When I come to visit, I want to go to there. I am glad that you miss Spokane. Spokane is beautiful. I am really happy that I moved to Seattle instead of Plano because Seattle is also beautiful but in such a different way than Spokane.

    ReplyDelete