Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Some Goings On

Greetings, neglected readers and random internet stalkers!  Please accept my sorta-deep-but-not-really apologies for the long break in-between blogs.  Yes, I suck, but the last couple of months have been busy and I've been lazy.

Die Schule

First, it's important to note that I'm not saying "DIE, SCHULE!" but am actually saying "The school" auf Deutsch.  Second, I had to Google which gender "schule" should be.  Third, I suck at German.

As many of you noticed via Facebook, I am a college graduate.  Huzzah!

I finished my degree at the end of March.  No clue what the future has in store for me, but standby for either really exciting things (jobs! more school! winning the lottery!) or not-so-exciting things (hanging out by the pool! driving Nolan to preschool! mowing the lawn!).



Future MLB-er

Nolan is making like another Texan with the same name: He joined a baseball team.  


The league he's in is called blast ball; it's like tee-ball, but simpler.  The players only have to run to first base, there are no outs, and nobody keeps score.  Of course--being that we're in Texas--some parents keep mental score.  I imagine that if Nolan continues to play baseball up through high school, I will encounter a parent who will be more than happy to remind me of his/her son beating my child at blast ball.  

One of the best parts of the whole blast ball thing is player of the week.  Every week the coach picks one player who had a great day, or improved, or listened, or didn't poop his pants, and gives him a baseball. That player's name is thrown into a pot (with other players of the week from different teams in the same league) and a blast ball player of the week is chosen.  A couple of weeks ago, Nolan was picked by his coach AND he won the player of the week.  He received a medal, a certificate, a $10 Applebee's gift card, and a free scoop of Baskin-Robins ice cream.

The reason I think it's one of the best parts of blast ball is because only one player per week gets chosen.  No trophies or accolades are handed out just because the kids showed up. It's a fair guess that every player will get one during the season, but the kids don't realize that.  It's a good life lesson for everybody.


Social Butterfly:

I started up a meetup.com group in order for Nolan and I to meet more friends.  Not only has it kept us busy with making crafts, but Nolan has made some good buddies.  As a bonus, I'm making some good buddies too!

Nolan, Ayla, and Camden

Brian, Nolan, and I all enjoy meeting the neighbors and relaxing in the sunshine.  Our street is filled with children, and Nolan loves playing with them.

Nolan and DJ
That's all for now folks.  Stay tuned for more updates!



1 comment:

  1. First! Ha!

    German is a fine language at which to suck.

    Deutsche ist ein gluckensprechensuckengeschäfsten mit vogelbärenfischenhammerautobahn. Overhauser.

    ReplyDelete